Saturday, March 21, 2009

Plainsong--Book Turned Movie

Hello All!

I happened across "Plainsong" when I was channel-surfing this evening, and though often we don't want to watch our favorite books turned into films, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did--it had an excellent cast that included Aidan Quinn, America Ferrara, Rachel Griffiths and Megan Follows, and the adaptation was true to the spirit of the book. I was hoping to see more of Megan Follows, as it seems most of her work is in Canada, but her work in a small role was good in the movie. There were definitely parts left out from the book, but as most film adaptations (movie or made for TV) have a time limit, that is to be expected. I also thought the actors who played the older farm brothers were good, and those that played the young Guthrie boys were excellent, as many of the story transitions came from them.

Plainsong by Kent Haruf is one of my absolute favorite books. A lot happens in a very steady paced plot, with characters that seem low-key, but live their lives trying to be the best people they can be. The characters have a quiet strength to them.

I can't recommend the book highly enough; it's one I think everyone should read. And the film adaptation is pretty good too.

Happy Reading!
Patti

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, I almost stopped on Hallmark to watch it but I feared what they'd do to it. Maybe next time...

Jen Forbus said...

Just the name Aiden Quinn is enough for me...those eyes! Hmmmm! :)