Monday, April 20, 2015

More Book Blessings


Hello All!

As I have stated before, I am blessed with books. The list below are books I have been fortunate enough to receive from the publisher as an advance readers' copy (arc). Among them are favorite authors, favorite series, new-to-me authors, and debut authors. I read mostly fiction, though I am excited to read the new nonfiction title by Robert Kurson, The Pirate Hunters, as I loved Shadow Divers (also nonfiction).

I like to read arcs as close to the publication date as possible. I feel if I read too far ahead, I'll forget to post to Goodreads and/or write a review when the book is actually published.

MAY
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
The Fatal Flame by Lyndsay Faye
The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley
Ruined Abbey by Anne Emery
The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan
Thin Air by Ann Cleeves (reading this may be delayed as I'm trying to catch up in the series)

JUNE
In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume(!!!)
Second Street Station by Lawrence H Levy
The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler
Clockwork Crown by Beth Cato
The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows
The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
The Pirate Hunters by Robert Kurson (nonfiction)
Run You Down by Julia Dahl
The Kill by Jane Casey (playing series catch-up, and the author was also recommended to me by Robin Agnew)
Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg
The Ways of the World by Robert Goddard
Enchanted August by Brenda Bowen (an "update" to Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim)
Madeleine's War by Peter Watson

JULY
The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley
Circling the Sun by Paula McLain

AUGUST
The Race for Paris Clayton
Trouble is a Friend of Mine Stephanie Trombly (young adult)
Fishbowl Bradley Somer
Rome in Love by Anita Hughes
The Drowning Ground by James Marrison
Lamp Black, Wolf Grey by Paula Brackston
Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J Ryan Stradal

After typing all of the above, I've returned at least 4 books I had checked out of the library. So far.

Now, you may ask, where do I find the time to read? As many of you know--I don't have a house (just an apartment), I don't have kids, and I don't have pets. I do have a boyfriend, Mike, who reads (extremely helpful!), and I ride the bus most days (20 minutes of reading at least one way, if not both ways). I also read during some breakfasts and most lunches. I read during commercials when I'm watching TV, and I'll just read instead of watching TV if Mike is watching something I'm not particularly interested in. And of course I read in bed before turning out the light.

I do seem to like to complicate things for myself though. I have recently started reading comic books, so I've got squeeze those in too. And, I read other books besides the ones listed above; for example, Mary Robinette Kowal has a new book coming out at the end of April, Of Noble Family, which I have pre-ordered. And Ace Atkins has a new Spenser book coming out in May, Robert B. Parker's Kickback, for which I'm on the reserve list at the library. Additionally, I read about books constantly, both for my collection development work at the library and for personal interest, and I find myself bringing books home from work to add to the list above.

Thanks and blessings to the authors for writing these wonderful books, and to the publishers for sharing these books early, so I can tell people about them and purchase them for the library.

I don't think I'm completely crazy, just a happy, happy reader (and list-maker) who lives her life surrounded by books!

Happy Reading!
Patti

No comments: