Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Sad Farewell to Tony Hillerman

Hello Everyone,

As posted on DorothyL on Sunday evening, October 26, 2008:
Hello all:
Family in New Mexico sends along the sad news that Tony Hillerman passedaway on Sunday. He was 83, and had been in poor health for some time. He wasa great mystery writer, an MWA Grand Master, a decent poker player and oneof the finest people I've ever known.
Last time I saw him was nearly a year ago at the writers' conference inAlbuquerque that is named for him. I interviewed him before all attending, andhe was, as always, a great storyteller. He will be missed.
An Albuquerque television station has a brief news item at:_http://kob.com/article/stories/S633872.shtml?cat=519_(
http://kob.com/article/stories/S633872.shtml?cat=519)
Best,
Steve Brewer


I'm very sad. Tony Hillerman was one of my favorite writers. I liked the slower pace of his mysteries, the inclusion of Navajo and Hopi cultures, and the characters of Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. I learned a lot about the Southwest from his books, and thought of Mr. Hillerman and his books a lot when we were moving out to Arizona. I have not yet made it to Shiprock or the the Four Corners, but am looking forward to seeing in person the part of the country that Mr. Hillerman wrote so fondly about. I am so glad we have so many books to read (if you have not yet done so), or in my case, to go back and reread.

Thanks for letting me share.
Sincerely,
Patti

1 comment:

pattinase (abbott) said...

One of my favorites too. Because of him I minored in anthropology.